What we take depends on condition, popularity & what we have in stock. We’re always happy to look at what you want to trade at any time. Our trade policy is customer friendly. There are no hidden fees and you can use your credit at Caryota Book Exchange for any books, movies & music at any time.
Book Exchange Return and Refund Policy
ALL SALES ARE FINAL
All approved returned merchandise to Caryota Book Exchange is subject to store Trade Policy. Approved returns will be eligible for exchange or store credit towards the next purchase. For those who want a detailed explanation of how our trade process works, feel free to read the following:
- We accept trades daily during all store hours: Tuesday through Friday 11am-5pm. Saturday 9am-2pm. No appointments are necessary, but if you’ve got a larger trade, we’d ask you to bring it in before 4pm in order for us to complete our process.
- Relax with us as we go through trades on site while you shop! Depending on the size, the trade could take anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes. However, during busy times or for older books with no barcodes, the wait time for trades could be longer.
- We inspect items for many variables, but mainly checking for good condition and popular items that we don’t already have in stock.
- There is no limit to the amount of items that you can bring in! If you’re in a hurry, and don’t have time to browse in the store while we go through your items, you can leave them with us as a drop-off. We will then evaluate your items and give you a call/text when we’re finished.
- All items we are not able to use can be donated to charity.
- You receive store credit for the items we do take (we are unable to accept items in exchange for cash). Store credit has a 6 month expiration. The shop will monitor for the 6 month period and then delete from our system. The onus is on the customer to keep track of their credit.
What We Accept
Of course there are exceptions to every rule, but here are some of the criteria on which we base our trade process:
- Books in good condition that are popular.
- DVDs & Blu-rays(this includes documentaries, televisions series, etc) in good condition in their full sized DVD cases with original artwork.
- CD’s in their original packaging with original artwork.
- Audiobooks in good condition.
- All donations.
Please sort through your items before bringing them in to our store. We understand wanting to clear the clutter but we will turn away items that are in poor condition. We also ask that the bags and boxes you bring your items in are clean, this means insect & cockroach free please!
What We Don’t Accept
- Books in poor condition. This includes water damage, torn covers and/or pages, excessive underlining, highlighting, and/or notes, animal hair, cockroach stained, moldy, bugs, dusty or items that have been too “well-loved”.
- Items with MA and older teen ratings or parental advisories.
- VHS and cassette tapes.
- Items that are bootleg.
- DVDs, Blu-rays, CDs, cassettes and most vinyl records without cases/covers.
- Readers Digest publishings and Readers Digest Condensed Books.
- Time Life publishings.
- Outdated non-fiction (irrelevant study guides, computer books, etc.)
- Encyclopedia sets.
- Newspapers or Magazines (this includes National Geographic).
- Items of which we are presently overstocked.
- We give up to $4 maximum per item (not cash) depending on condition, rarity or popularity.
- You can use the store credit that same day or save it for another time. You don’t have to spend it all at once.
- Store credit can be used on anything in our store inventory. Just because you trade in books, doesn’t mean that credit has to be used to get more books; you can spend it on CDs, DVDs, etc.!
- If you don’t want the credit because you have too many books, movies, and CDs in your life, we can write the credit out as gift cards for your family and friends. This works great during the holiday season if you’re low on cash. This process must happen on the day of trade only!